Monday, January 6, 2014

What Does Ohana Mean to You?





The simple word "Ohana" has been proven to be a foundation for my life. That five-letter word has transformed the way that I look at life. I had never heard it before the movie ‘Lilo Stitch’ in 2002. It has a powerful but simple meeting, “Ohana means family, nobody gets left behind or forgotten.”

This quote has transformed my outlook of life. Not only in the aspect of Multiple Sclerosis but how I live my life day to day. This little word has made me a better person. It sounds crazy to say but it has put things into perspective for me; a perspective that I think is perfect for the holiday season. Whoever your ‘Ohana’ is be grateful for not everyone is as fortunate as you. Find your ‘Ohana’ and let those people know how much they play apart in your life.  I don’t think that I would be able to get through my constant struggles if I didn’t have the people who I call my support system. It’s amazing how when times get tough your friends and family make you feel that you can do anything.

My perspective on life isn’t extreme, it goes like this; do not judge people for you are not walking in their shoes. Although someone may appear to seem together on the outside, everyone is fighting their own battle inside. Be kind, be grateful and always smile because you never know how infectious your smile can be. And there is no better time to be reminded of that than when you’re making your New Year’s Resolution.

With this in mind I challenge everyone to find their own ‘Ohana’ and hold it close. Mine has well over 500 people that I have met throughout the years of having Multiple Sclerosis. They are the people who have made a difference in not only my life, but all the other soldiers who are fighting this disease along side me, no matter how big nor small, they are not forgotten and will never be. My ‘Ohana’ has helped their life get a little better each day. I couldn’t be more thankful for the large loving family that I have come to know over the last 10 years. To each of you thank you for everything you do. And for those of you who read this for the first time are now a part of our ‘Ohana’ who take up a large part of the Northwest Suburbs MS Walk every May.

No comments:

Post a Comment